Saturday, November 16, 2019

Caring Enough to Cope

I'm not much of a TV watcher. When acquaintances and friends talk about their latest favorite TV series, I'm often lost in the conversation unless it's about Friends. This week I decided to find a show I would be interested in watching to give myself some efficient breaks and enjoy entertainment which I don't normally do. Due to the fact that I'm running on about one hour of sleep last night, I think it's safe to say that I found my show. If you haven't seen or looked into Designated Survivor, I promise you it is extremely captivating. Yes - I understand there are probably many at this point in my blog who are criticizing my decisions last night of prioritizing entertainment over needed sleep. Yes - I realize it probably wasn't the smartest idea as an already exhausted college student, however I feel there's much to learn and apply even through watching relationships thrive and grow through fictional or maybe realistic challenges.

In short, Designated Survivor highlights the role of a man holding the position of Secretary of Housing and Urban Development in the lower-level cabinet is unexpectedly thrown into the seat of President by a devastating bombing attack on the capital. Tom Kirkman, newly appointed president, and his wife; Alex Kirkman suddenly have many stressors of responsibilities to their country that would forever change and effect the dynamic of their family unit consisting of two kids; Leo - a typical 17 year old and his younger sister, Penny - an 11 year old.

In season 1, episode 2 President Kirkman and his wife Alex leave Leo in the Whitehouse with the responsibility of watching his sister and keeping her away from the television that would broadcast their parents live as they visit and pay tribute to those that died in the capital bombing. After playing a few card games with his sister, Leo got distracted and left the room to make a phone call to a friend, leaving curious Penny to turn on the TV and witness a shooting breakout that put her parents; the president and first wife in danger.

After president and first lady Kirkman arrive safely back at the Whitehouse, the mother approaches Leo about his failed obligation to keep his sister away from the TV and this was their conversation:

Leo Kirkman : How is she?

Alex Kirkman : Well, how do you think she is? She just watched her father almost get trampled. You had one job: to keep her away from the TV.

Leo Kirkman : I did.

Alex Kirkman : Until you didn't. You... you left her alone.

Leo Kirkman : I got a phone call. It... it's not my job to be her parent.

Alex Kirkman : Well, guess what? We're all doing jobs that we weren't doing yesterday. Leo, nothing's the same anymore. Look, I know it's asking a lot. But you're just gonna have to grow up faster.

My point concerning this long introduction is that under any variety of circumstances, a family needs to learn to cope or deal with stress effectively. Part of coping is creating strong and proper boundaries within the relationship to allow these connections to thrive and grow together in unity.

Although we might not experience drastic life changing events as well demonstrated in my newly found show, we each will experience times in our lives where stress is added on the heart strings of the family such as the lost of a child, being released from a job, etc. Remember that a little added stress is a motivator in change and helps build our character.

No matter our circumstances, as we continue to work together as a family unit and grow in charity and love we can overcome the stresses of these earthly experiences. Helping individual family members cope can be a great blessing not only to them but you as well as the caretaker.

What situations in your family have you needed to help adjust and cope to? How has that strengthened your family? I would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beauty of Blended Families

Going back to my very first blog post titled Defining the Family, it is so extremely hard to put together a concrete definition that include...